Our dogs can't get enough of the California sunshine and neither can we.

This blog has been created to update you--our family and friends--on all of the changes we are experiencing since our little family moved back to the West Coast. Most notably, of course: the new little one who just arrived.

We encourage ourselves and you to learn the lessons of the sundog: nourish your mind with rest, your body with vitamin D, and your soul with warmth
. Oh, and don't forget to sniff when something interesting wafts by.

Love, Mary & Ryan


Thursday, March 6, 2008

We got hitched

Well, we did it. For reals. We got married just the two of us on Feb 4, 2008, our 10-year anniversary, at the Santa Barbara Courthouse. It was a beautifully sunny winter day and the ceremony took about ten minutes, officiated by a former mayor of Santa Barbara. We originially were going to go with her standard ceremony wording, but the day before decided to work in a lot of our own. There was nothing quite like hearing a senior dignitary of Santa Barbara read Pearl Jam lyrics.

I've pasted the ceremony wording and pictures below. We hope you know that even though we didn't include you all in a big wedding, we love you and were thinking of you. Thanks for understanding our desire to do this in the small, intimate way that felt right for us.

Love, Mary and Ryan (The Radfords! Yep, I'll be changing my name....)


February 4, 2008 Ceremony: Ryan Radford & Mary Jacobs-Spaulding

Mary and Ryan, we are here to celebrate your love, your relationship, your 10-year anniversary, your growing family, and the legal commitment you are making during this momentous time in your journey together. From your beginning in Florence, Italy, to your side-by-side adventures in Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Australia, and the States, your travels now bring you here, to the beautiful Santa Barbara Courthouse, on the street you once lived, to commit formally to each other as you have done in love for 10 years.

I will read two passages that have great meaning to you. The first is a compilation of lyrics from two of your favorite songs:

This broken wheel is coming undone

And the road’s exploding
But you're keeping me strong
Rolling along with you...

Love is a tower
And you're the key
Leading me higher
When you let me in

Keeping us close...so close
On down the line

Sometimes I burn like a dot on the sun
With no one knowing
But you're keeping me strong
Rolling along with you

You are a tower
Of strength to me
The darkening hour
Sees light again

Love is a tower
Of strength to me
I am the shoreline
But you are the sea

------------------

Ah, is there room for both of us?

Both of us apart?
Are we bound out of obligation?
Is that all we've got?

I get the words, and then I get to thinkin'
I don't wanna think, I wanna feel
And how do i feel?

Hail, hail, the lucky ones
I refer to those in love

I swore to love you till the day I die, and beyond…
Are we going to the same place?
If so, can I come?

Hail, hail, the lucky ones
I refer to those in love

If you're my only one, so could you only one?
I want to be your one
Enough...you won, your one, your hun

All hail the lucky ones
I refer to those in love


Next, I will read a passage you found years ago that reminds you of the special connection you feel with your shared December 20th birthday:

When two Sagittarians come together, they form a brilliant union of truth seeking travelers. This duo takes on the world through educated lenses and shares the quest for new knowledge. They enjoy pleasant conversation and banter that challenges and entertains the mind. The best aspect of the Sagittarius-Sagittarius relationship is their enviable compatibility and their shared interest in a quest for knowledge. This pair has found the perfect balance between devotion and giving each other adequate space. Together, this couple will explore the world.

Now, please join hands and while looking at each other, repeat after me: (turning to groom)
I, Ryan, / take you, Mary, /
to be my wife. /

And now (turning to the bride) please repeat after me:
I, Mary, / take you, Ryan/
to be my husband. /

May you continue to each be to the other a strength in need, a counselor in perplexity, a comfort in sorrow and a companion in joy. Wherever you go separately, may you always return to each other in happiness. May you grow in love with one another all the days of your lives and have such fulfillment of your mutual affection for each other that you reach out in love and concern for others. May you share your love freely with your beloved families and friends, your two treasured dogs, and your new little one on the way.

I will end with this stanza by Maya Angelou:

I couldn’t tell fact from fiction
or if my dream was true,
The only sure prediction
in this whole word was you.


For as much as you have pledged yourselves, each to the other, I pronounce you husband and wife. Cheers to your love, this beautiful day, and your continued travels through life together.



Some pics from our day:

We were at the Santa Barbara Courthouse at 2:00 sharp for our appointment!



The fountain out front.



10 minutes later.....we're done and our officiant Sheila graciously took pictures of us.



Us and Sheila inside the Courthouse - she summoned a docent to take our picture, a former mayor sure gets to boss people around!



View of the old jail part of the Courthouse from the clock tower.



A view of another section of the Courthouse and out towards the ocean.



View of where we had our ceremony, down by the steps in the courtyard (where Miki and Travis got married too!).



Me (with eyes closed of course) and my baby tum.



Ry with the spire of the Arlington Theater in the background.




30 and married with a baby on the way...feels kinda strange but also fitting for our 10th year!

-m

1 comment:

Kristine and Jason said...

How beautiful! Congratulations to you both. I'm so happy for you guys!